Thursday 12 November 2009

Clash of the Titans

There were few things my brother and I could agree upon when growing up, but one thing that was guaranteed to always shut us up for a couple of hours was a Ray Harryhausen film. Like most boys we didn't care about such trivialities as plot, character development, editing or acting. All we cared about was if the film was going to have any monsters in it (or nonsters if you were to ask my little brother.)

As we have grown old and jaded I find it increasingly likely that I will actually get on with my brother, which is really nice because it meant that yesterday I had someone to phone up and be excited to when I saw this the first teaser trailer for the remake of the classic Clash of the Titans.

People who know me know that I get excited about films, sometimes a little too excited. I also have a slightly unhealthy habit of watching trailers, sometimes a few times too many. Sometimes I prefer the trailers to the actual film... actually that happens quite a lot... I also delight in showing people trailers I have seen and think they need to see as well (although these days this will generally mean forcing my wife to sit at the computer while I show her trailer after trailer, not unlike that scene in A Clockwork Orange, only to become slightly disappointed when she doesn't share quite the same level of enthusiasm when showing here the third iteration of the new Star Trek or Transformers trailer. But what does she know, she's a Twilight fan... (kidding! love you!) )

Anyway I have digressed... considerably...

The Clash of the Titans trailer has got me all excited for several reasons:
  1. Dude, Clash of the Titans...
  2. It doesn't look totally shite.
  3. It has nonsters in it.
  4. Clash of the Titans!!!!!
To be honest it looks like 300 crossed with Troy with Monsters thrown in for good measure. What i liked a lot was the way the Monsters, particularly the giant scorpions, although blatantly CGI, do look as if they COULD have been done with stop motion. What I mean is they still have that more traditionally animated feel to them. The marketing is also pretty obviously aimed at those who saw 300, but that's not a bad thing. Assuming this film isn't arse, if everyone who saw 300 goes to see it then that cant be a bad thing.
I do have my gripes with what I have seen so far, (my mother has already said that she doesn't want to see it if Boobo isn't in it) but even with those gripes I have still watched the trailer a good dozen times or more since yesterday.
Besides... Dude.... Clash of the Titans...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude... it's got giant freaking nonsters in it.